Have a go on the World Record-holding People Powered Press, and take home a giant print you've made yourself, featuring your very own words.
Join Poet in Residence, Antony Dunn, for a two-hour workshop exploring story-telling through prose and poetry – a lively mix of reading, writing and conversation games – in which you’ll create your own unique micro-poem.
Then you’ll be handed over to Oli Bentley, founder of the People Powered Press for a hands-on, two-hour masterclass in letterpress printing. Set your own words in the press, using the giant steel letters of our own typeface, Graft, and make your own huge prints to take away.
What to expect
A really intimate experience – just you and three others working with our expert tutors. There’ll be breaks for tea and cake, and lunch from Saltaire’s famous Edward Street Bakery.
10:00 – Creative writing workshop with Antony
12:00 – Lunch
12:45 – Printing workshop with Oli
15:00 – Finish
What to bring with you
- A notebook and a pencil or pen.
- Clothes that you wouldn’t mind getting a little bit dirty, though we'll provide you with a fetching apron.
- If you have long hair, please bring something you can use to tie it back, and don’t wear anything too flowy, especially baggy sleeves, to avoid getting trapped in the press’s roller or dangling in the ink.
Lunch, refreshments and a free, limited edition visual booklet telling the story of the People Powered Press and the creation of Graft.
Making the People Powered Press' workshop Covid-safe
Although we’re launching this season of workshops at a time of uncertainty about future Covid-19 restrictions, we’re making sure that the workshop is designed and equipped to keep you safe and comfortable now, and in the event of any future developments.
So here’s what's being to make the People Powered Press a safe, creative place.
- Staff will be tested for Covid twice a week.
- Workshops which can take place in our covered outdoor space will do so.
- The capacity of all workshops has been capped to ensure that social distancing is possible and comfortable in the studio and in the outdoor workshop space.
- The space will be well ventilated, using our in-built extraction system and windows when needed.
- We have sanitiser stations around the space and there are wipes for cleaning surfaces and shared equipment.
- Masks will be worn inside the building if and when official guidance indicates that they should.
- We will provide perspex workspace dividers if and when official guidance indicates that we should.
We’ll regularly review all these measures against the latest government guidance, and we hope that this will reassure you that you’re in a comfortable, safe environment, and that we’re taking your safety very seriously indeed.
All proceeds from this workshop will be used to support the People Powered Press' work with community groups around the Bradford district, amplifying local voices and spreading words worth spreading.