Have a go on the World Record-holding People Powered Press, and take home a giant print you've made yourself, featuring your very own words.
Join Poet in Residence, Antony Dunn, for a two-hour workshop exploring story-telling through prose and poetry – a lively mix of reading, writing and conversation games – in which you’ll create your own unique micro-poem.
Then you’ll be moving over to the People Powered Press for a hands-on, two-hour masterclass in letterpress printing. Set your own words in the press, using the giant steel letters of our own typeface, Graft, and make your own huge prints to take away.
What to expect
A really intimate experience – just you and three others working with our expert tutors. There’ll be breaks for tea and cake, and lunch from Saltaire’s famous Edward Street Bakery.
10:00 – Creative writing workshop
12:00 – Lunch
12:45 – Printing workshop
15:00 – Finish
What to bring with you
- A notebook and a pencil or pen.
- Clothes that you wouldn’t mind getting a little bit dirty, though we'll provide you with a fetching apron.
- If you have long hair, please bring something you can use to tie it back, and don’t wear anything too flowy, especially baggy sleeves, to avoid getting trapped in the press’s roller or dangling in the ink.
Lunch, refreshments and a free, limited edition visual booklet telling the story of the People Powered Press and the creation of Graft.
All proceeds from this workshop will be used to support the People Powered Press' work with community groups around the Bradford district, amplifying local voices and spreading words worth spreading.
Making the People Powered Press' workshop Covid-safe
Although we’re launching this season of workshops at a time of uncertainty about future Covid-19 restrictions, we’re making sure that the workshop is designed and equipped to keep you safe and comfortable now, and in the event of any future developments.
So, in the event of restrictions being imposed or suggested, here’s what we'll do to make the People Powered Press a safe, creative place.
- Staff will be tested for Covid on the morning of the day on which any workshop will take place.
- All participants will be asked to take a Covid test before travelling to the workshop.
- The space will be well ventilated, using our in-built extraction system and an air purifier.
- We have sanitiser stations around the space and there are wipes for cleaning surfaces and shared equipment.
- Masks will be worn inside the building if and when official guidance indicates that they should.
- We will provide workspace dividers if and when official guidance indicates that we should.
- BOOK WITH CONFIDENCE: if your workshop has to be postponed, your ticket will still be valid for the rescheduled event. If you're not able to get to it, we will offer you a full refund.
We’ll regularly review all these measures against the latest government guidance, and we hope that this will reassure you that you’re in a comfortable, safe environment, and that we’re taking your safety very seriously indeed.